Secondary School of Gastronomy Ostrava-Hrabůvka
Secondary School of Gastronomy is the state-funded institution, founded in 1956.
Our school prepares young people for the following practical professions: a cook, a waiter, and a confectioner. The three-year study is finished by receiving a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
The best apprentices can continue their study in a two-year training course Management in Gastronomy and receive Secondary education which is finished with Maturita exam.
There are also four-year educational branches: Catering and Accommodation Services and Tourism Services which are completed with Maturita exam as well.
Apart from the everyday education, our school offers extramural studies:
- Three-year educational branches (Cook, Waiter) are finished with a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
- Four-year educational branch (Management in Gastronomy) is finished with Maturita exam.
Theoretical lessons take place in modern, special well-equipped classrooms such as language and computer labs, kitchen lab, confectioner lab, serving lab, wine room lab, kitchen studio, multimedia hall and Gastrocentre with special equipped classrooms (kitchen studio, serving lab, coffee-making lab and classroom for bartenders). PE lessons can take place in modern gym, fitness centre or in outside sport areal.
Practical lessons take place in various establishments of both private and join- stock companies such as high quality restaurants, hotels, sweet-shops and travel agencies.
School facilities and services
- Catering is offered in the school canteen and buffet.
- Our students can join several courses during the school year (carving, making cocktails, sommelier, barista).
- For students living outside Ostrava, our school offers the accommodation with the possibility of catering. Both dormitory and canteen are situated in the school building.
- Our school organizes several events and competitions in cooking, serving and tour-guiding (Chocolate Wooden Spoon, Waiter Heptathlon, Young Tour Guide). Our students participate in many other competitions all over the Czech Republic (Gastro Junior, HoReCa Cup Makro).
- Secondary School of Gastronomy is a part of the Inclusion project which helps students with special needs to be regular members of society.